Science Boot Camp
New England Science Boot Camp
The New England Science Boot Camp for Librarians is an annual two-and-a-half-day educational event offering librarians an opportunity to learn about science. Three science topics are featured at each Science Boot Camp. Each of these topics is presented at a half-day session by New England scientists: one scientist presents an overview of a science and another presents current research work within the field. During the final half hour of each of the science sessions a librarian-facilitated discussion will be held with the scientist presenters. Topics for these discussions include their use of library resources, research information needs, data management practices, and suggestions of new ways that librarians can support their research communities. These science sessions help to provide librarians with context and terminologies of science disciplines that will enable them to better engage with their faculty to provide research services. Boot Camp Capstone sessions feature issues related to science librarianship, including e-Science, current projects, and emerging roles for science librarians. Hosted each summer on a different New England campus, the casual ambience of Science Boot Camp promotes learning and camaraderie among librarians from New England and beyond.
Science Boot Camp 2014
The 2014 Science Boot Camp will be held June 11-13 on the University of Connecticut campus in Storrs, CT. Featured science session topics include pharmaceutical science, evolution, and computer science. The Capstone will feature Citizen Science and a breakout session during which attendees can conduct research interviews with science graduate students. Registration for the 2014 Science Boot Camp will open on Wednesday April 9th and will be announced on the e-Science Community blog, on Twitter @NERescience and via e-Science/science/technology discussion lists. For further information, please contact Donna Kafel at email@example.com
Science Boot Camp 2013
The 2013 Science Boot Camp will be held on June 12-14th at the University of Massachusetts Amherst campus. Science topics for this boot camp are agriculture, public health, and analytical chemistry. Conducting research interviews will be the focus of this year’s interactive Capstone session.
Science Boot Camp 2012
Science Boot Camp 2012 was held at Tufts University, Medford, MA on June 13-15, 2012. Science sessions included neuroscience, organic chemistry, and data visualization. A special “Women in Science” panel made up of prominent female scientists discussed their research and careers during dinner on June 13th. The Capstone session featured a panel of New England librarians who shared their experiences at the ARL/DFL e-Science Institute and a presentation on educating the e-Science Librarian by Dr. Terry Plum, assistant dean of Simmons GSLIS West.
- 2012 Science Boot Camp Guide – Includes information on speakers, sessions, and resources on the science topics featured at the 2012 Science Boot Camp.
- Videos of Science Boot Camp Sessions 2012
Science Boot Camp 2011
Science Boot Camp 2011 was held at Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Worcester, MA on June 8-10, 2011. Science sessions included robotics, astronomy, and epidemiology. Capstone session featured science informatics at the MBLWHOI Library; focusing on three major initiatives: Encyclopedia of Life, Biodiversity Heritage Library, and NetiNeti
- 2011 Science Boot Camp Guide – Includes information on speakers, sessions, and resources on the science topics featured at the 2011 Science Boot Camp.
- Videos of Science Boot Camp Sessions 2011
Science Boot Camp 2010
Science Boot Camp 2010 was held at University of Massachusetts Lowell on June 9-11, 2010. Science sessions included genetics, climate change, and remote sensing. Capstone session featured a presentation on data curation at the Cornell University Library, and an update on the e-Science Portal for New England Librarians.
- 2010 Science Boot Camp Guide – Includes information on speakers, sessions and resources on the science topics featured at the 2010 Science Boot Camp.
- Video of Science Boot Camp 2010 (all sessions) – Compilation of video recordings from the sessions at Science Boot Camp 2010 including genetics, climate change, remote sensing, and an update on the e-Science Portal for New England Librarians.
- DataSTAR: A staging repository for supporting library based data curation services – PowerPoint presentation by Dianne Dietrich, Research Data and Metadata Librarian, Cornell University Library. Presented at Science Boot Camp for Librarians, June 11, 2010.
Science Boot Camp 2009
Science Boot Camp 2009 was held at University of Massachusetts Dartmouth on June 24-26, 2009. Science sessions included GIS, bioinformatics, and nanotechnology.
- Science Boot Camp 2009 Guide – Includes information on speakers, sessions and resources on the science topics featured at the 2009 Science boot camp.