Science Data Literacy
Science Data Literacy
Science Data Literacy is the ability to effectively work with data in the sciences. Jian Qin and John D’Ignazio describe Science Data Literacy as the "knowledge and skills involved in collecting, processing, managing, evaluating, and using data for scientific inquiry. Although there are similarities in information literacy and digital literacy, science data literacy specifically focuses less on literature-based attributes and more on functional ability in data collection, processing, management, evaluation, and use ... This emphasis on operational skills coincides with the practice-based production, operation, and use of digital datasets during scientific research." Qin, Jian, & D'Ignazio, John. (2010). Lessons learned from a two-year experience in science data literacy education. Purdue University.
- Crossing That Bridge We Have Come to: Teaching Students How to Manage Qualitative Data (2013) – Interview with Julie McLeod and Susan Childs, developers of DATUM for Health online RDM course at UK’s Northumbria University about managing qualitative data and advice for librarians on RDM instruction.
- A Study of Faculty Data Curation Behaviors and Attitudes at a Teaching-Centered University (2012) – Information regarding faculty researchers' data curation practices, attitudes, and learning needs from a Cal Poly study. Of particular interest are the study results, raised awareness of study participants and new models at Cal Poly for campus collaboration.
- The Data Management Skills Support Initiative: Synthesising Postgraduate Training in Research Data Management (2012) – While much of the paper’s focus is on a comparison of two UK research data management training frameworks, authors’ findings are helpful for librarians and faculty looking to integrate research data mgmt instruction to students across disciplines.
- The Fractured Lab Notebook: undergraduates and ecological data management training in the United States (2012) – Discusses results of survey sent to 48 major educational institutions about coverage of data management topics in undergraduate ecology courses.
- Research supervisors and information literacy (2011) – Report on results of a UK Research Information Network (RIN) study on the impact research supervisors have on graduate students’ information literacy. The In this report, the term information literacy encompasses the recording, managing and handling of data.
- Lessons learned from a two year experience in Science Data Literacy education – Describes authors’ experience and lessons learned from teaching a Science Data Management course at Syracuse University to undergraduate and graduate science and technology students.
- Incorporating Data Literacy into Information Literacy Programs: Core Competencies and Contents (Jun 2013) - Dr. Javier Calzada Prado and Dr. Miguel Ángel Marzal discuss the need for library standards on data information literacy that are widely applicable beyond a specific context. They review the literature on data information literacy and from their review form a list of core competenices for data literacy instruction. The link is to the publication in the journal Libri. An open access version is available here.
- Data Stories - A listing of anecdotes about researchers' experiences in managing, searching for and making use of data from DataONE. These stories could be mined for ideas on what to teach or as illustrations of real world challenges and needs.