Courses and Workshops
MOOCs of Interest
- Coursera offers a number of online courses related to data science and data management
- edX - MOOCs offered by Harvard and MIT, among others, on a number of data-related topics
Master of Information and Data Science Programs
- Rutgers University Online Master of Information – Concentrations in Library and Information Science, Data Science, and Technology, Information and Management
Master's Level Programs
PhD Level Programs
Library/iSchool Data Curation Courses
- University of Texas at Austin: Introduction to Scientific and Technical Data Collections: An Introduction to Management and Preservation of Scientific Data
- Data Curation Curriculum Search – Database of programs and courses covering data curation and closely related fields by the Center for Informatics Research in Science and Scholarship at the University of Illinois Graduate School of Library and Information Science
Library/iSchool Digital Curation Certificate Programs
- Data Matters: Data Science Short Course Series – A week-long series of classes held at University of North Carolina Chapel Hill for researchers, data analysts, and other individuals who wish to increase their skills in data studies and integrate data science methods into their research designs and skill sets.
- Science Boot Camp for Librarians – An opportunity for librarians to immerse into learning about science disciplines over the course of 2½ days. Each boot camp features three science sessions where local New England faculty present an overview of a science subject and discuss current research in the field. Capstone session features issues in science librarianship.
Online Courses and Tutorials
- DIY Research Data Management Training Kit for Librarians (2013) – Developed and piloted by data librarians on small groups of librarians at the University of Edinburgh, this kit is designed to contain everything needed (ppts., exercises, podcasts, MANTRA online course, evaluation forms, etc. to complete a similar training course on your own (in small groups) and is based on open educational materials.
- Data Management Course – An online course designed by Lisa Johnson and Jon Jeffryes for graduate students created by the University of Minnesota.
- RDM for Librarians – An online training course that delivers concise and comprehensive instruction on research data management specifically for librarians.
- Data Management for Clinical Research – A six-week Coursera online course offered periodically. Taught by Vanderbilt University biomedical informatics faculty, the course focuses on critical concepts and practical methods to support research data planning, collection, storage and dissemination.
- DataONE Data Management Education Modules – This education program is geared towards earth scientists, but it contains much useful information for librarians to help them to be a resource to their faculty and researchers. Topics include metadata, data sharing, citation, and the data lifecycle.
- RDMRose Learning Materials/Version 1 (2013) – RDMRose is a JISC funded project for continuing professional education learning materials in research data management tailored for information professionals. Filled with hands-on activities, the course is modular, consisting of eight sections. Topics include why research data management is important for researchers and roles information science professionals can play. There is also a shorter version, RDMRose Lite, which is a two-hour overview.
- Digital Curation 101: How to Manage Research Data by the Digital Curation Centre – A comprehensive collection of reports, presentations, and briefs covering all aspects of the data lifecycle, including ingest, appraisal and selection, metadata, preservation, and reuse. Elements are categorized by topic and can be accessed and completed at your own pace.