- Building the perfect data repository . . . or the one that might get used (2011) – Cameron Neylon, UK biophysicist, discusses possible tools that would simplify the process of data sharing for research scientists.
- Life Science Data Repositories in the Publications of Scientists and Librarians (2011) – Bibliographic analysis for selected life science data repositories.
- Scientific data repositories on the Web: An initial survey. Marcial, L. H. and Hemminger, B. M. (2010) – Results from website survey of scientific data repositories with a focus on framework for evaluating the success of scientific data repositories.
- Repositories Software Project – A 5.5 year JISC-funded initiative whose principle aim is to provide practical assistance and advice on available repository solutions.
- DataStar: A staging repository for supporting library-based data curation services (2010) – Dianne Dietrich, Research & Metadata Librarian at Cornell discusses the DataStar staging repository and the consultation, assessment, and support services that facilitate digital data curation.
- DataStaR: An Institutional Approach to Research Data Curation (2007) – Gail Steinhart discusses the role of Cornell’s DataStaR staging repository within the context of the entire life cycle of research data.
- The Data Curation Continuum: Managing Data Objects in Institutional Repositories (2007) – Report from Monash University in Australia. Explores the concept of a data curation continuum and how various continua apply to institutional repository design and workflow. Suggestion is made to consider developing two types of institutional repositories: collaboration and publication/preservation.
- Institutional Repositories and Research Data Curation in a Distributed Environment (2009) – Discusses the approach for organizing, preserving and making accessible research data at the Distributed Data Curation Center of the Purdue University Libraries along with an exploration of roles for librarians and institutional repositories.
- Data management and the curation continuum: how the Monash experience is informing repository relationships (2008) – Monash University (Australia) librarians discuss how understanding their research community's data has informed the development of management solutions for accommodating data at different stages of the research and publication cycle.
- SPARC Europe: Institutional Repositories – This site provides an overview of institutional repositories including a definition of terms, benefits for the individual and benefits for the institution. Links are provided to a number of papers and projects related to institutional repositories.
Selection and Appraisal of Research Data
- The Analytic Potential of Scientific Data: Understanding Re-use Value (2011) – Explores approaches that evaluate data's analytic potential (the value of data for analysis beyond its original use) and how analytic potential should be a criteria for the development of data collections for research repositories.
- How to Appraise and Select Research Data for Curation by the Digital Curation Centre & Australian National Data Service – Appraisal and selection are important since not all data sets can be ingested. This site provides a brief introduction to the various important criteria for evaluation whether or not to ingest a data set into a repository.
- Selection of Research Data: Guidelines for Appraising and Selecting Research Data (2010) – Guidelines created by the SURF Foundation (Netherlands) designed to help researchers and institutions identify what research data is worth preserving and the length of time it should be preserved.
- DSpace – DSpace is an open source software for building open digital repositories. It preserves and enables access to all types of digital content including text, images, and data sets.
- DuraCloud – A hosted service and open technology developed by DuraSpace, DuraCloud leverages existing cloud infrastructure to enable durability and access to digital content. Particularly focused on providing preservation support services and access services for academic libraries and academic research centers.
- DuraSpace Blog – News and information from the Fedora Repository and DSpace communities.
- DuraSpace.org web seminars – Links to slides and content from Duraspace hosted web seminars on repository systems and solutions.
- Fedora – Fedora (Flexible Extensible Digital Object Repository Architecture) defines a set of abstractions for expressing digital objects, asserting relationships among digital objects, and linking "behaviors" (i.e., services) to digital objects.
- Fedora-A Repository for the Future (2013) – Beginning In 2013, stakeholders in the Fedora Community initiate Fedora Futures, a 3 year overhaul of Fedora to improve scalability, data management support, and storage flexibilities, among other features requested by users.
- Islandora/Fedora Repository Software Survey (2010) – Survey done by the Repositories Software Project that provides information on functions, operability, metadata and support for Islandora and Fedora repository software.
Science Data Repositories
- Figshare – A data sharing platform that allows researchers to publish all of their research outputs in an easily citable, sharable and discoverable manner. One of Figshare’s goal is for researchers to share even negative results from their works, in order to reduce duplication of effort, and to promote citations.
- Example of Article with citations of Figshare for Supplementary Data: Development of Genomic Resources for Pacific Herring through Targeted Transcriptome Pyrosequencing (2012)
- Purdue University Research Repository – Online, collaborative working space and data-sharing platform to support the data management needs of Purdue researchers and their collaborators.
Compiled Lists of Research Data Repositories
- re3data – Most comprehensive list to date of research data repositories with downloadable datasets. Browse by subject, content type, and country. By the end of 2015, re3data and Databib will merge to form a single service, managed under the auspices of DataCite
- Databib – Annotated bibliography and registry of research data repositories.
- NIH Data Sharing Repository – Directory developed at the National Library of Medicine that lists NIH supported data repositories and resources with aggregated information about biomedical data.
- Simmons College GSLIS wiki of Open Data Repositories
- Archives and Repositories for Data from the University of Minnesota Libraries
- ROAR: Registry of Open Access Repositories – Registry of global open access repositories, funded by UK’s JISC (Joint Information Specialists Committee).
- PDS: the Planetary Data System – NASA’s archive of data products from NASA planetary missions.
- Dryad – Dryad is an international repository of data underlying peer-reviewed articles in the basic and applied biosciences.
- BioGrid – The Biological General Repository for Interaction Datasets (BioGRID) is a public database that archives and disseminates genetic and protein interaction data from model organisms and humans.
- Mouse Genome Informatics – International database resource developed at Jackson Labs, for the laboratory mouse, to help facilitate better understanding of human health and disease.
Environmental Science/Geosciences Repositories
- Data.gov – An initiative to increase public access to machine-readable datasets generated by the Executive Branch of the Federal Government, Data.gov provides metadata and information for accessing datasets useful for diverse contexts. Includes a Geodata catalog.
- ESA: Ecological Society of America Data Registry – A publicly accessible registry describing scientific data sets on ecology and the environment. Its data sets are associated with articles published in the journals of the Ecological Society of America.
- Pangaea – An OAI-PMH compliant repository for georeferenced data from earth system research. Sample data sets include oceanographic observations and sea ice physics.
- RealClimate – A directory of climate data repositories and codes.