Data Management Planning
Data Management Planning
A collection of online data management guides, tools, and other resources for researchers and librarians. For scholarly publications and other resources on data-intensive scholarship, see the Data Curation page.
Data Management Guides
- DataONE Best Practices- Primer on Data Managment: What you always wanted to know (but were afraid to ask)
- Good DMP Examples + Going Beyond Two Pages (2012) – Posting from DataPubs blog with practical tips geared to researchers.
- Carnegie Mellon University LibGuide on Data Management – Data Management 101
- Cornell University Research Data Management Services Group- Best Practices guidance for data management
- Manage Your Data – MIT Libraries’ guide to Data Management: a guide for researchers.
- University of Minnesota Libraries guide to Data Management
- California Digital Library’s Guide to Data Management
- Support for Managing Research Data- Guide developed at the University of Cambridge addressing components of data management.
- Edinburgh University Data Library Research Data Management Handbook (2011)
- UK Data Service Guide to Data Managment Preparation
Please see the Repositories Page for information about data repositories
- Data Cite - The DataCite Consortium provides a number of services to support efforts at increasing the ease and prevalence of data citation
- DMP Tool - Open access data management plan tool designed to help researchers meet funding agencies’ DMP requirements.
- Data Curation Profiles Toolkit- Toolkit intended to help librarians engage in conversations with researchers, understand data management in different disciplines, help identify possible data services, and serve as a starting point for curating a dataset.
- Glossary of Data Management Terms- Glossary provided by Cornell University Research Data Management Services Group
- Data Management Checklist - UK Data Services
Guidelines from Funding Agencies
- DMPTool Funder Requirements List (2014)- As new Data Management Plan Guidelines become available, they will be added to this page and eventually to the DMPTool.
- Data Managment Funder Requirements compiled by the University of Minnisota Libraries
- National Science Foundation: Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results (2010)- NSF’s guidelines for data management and sharing
- National Institute of Health Guidelines – NIH’s data sharing policies and guidelines.
- National Institute of Health Genomic Data Sharing Guidelines (2014)- NIH guidelines for the sharing of human and non-human genomic data.
- De-Mystifying the Data Management Requirements of Research Funders (2012)- Examines the current data management requirements of major US funding agencies in order to better understand data management requirements that researchers face and their implications for libraries who provide research data management services.
Data Management Plan Examples and Templates
- New England Collaborative Data Management Curriculum example Data Management Plans
- UC San Diego data management plan examples submitted to various directorates.
- UW Madison data management plan examples in a variety of disciplines
- University of New Mexico Data Managment Plan examples (left side)
- Data One Data Management Plan examples (bottom)
- Data Management Plan Templates from Columbia University- Templates of data management plans for all NSF directorates
- University of Oregon Data Management Plan Outline