Data Management Planning
Data Management Planning
A collection of online data management guides for researchers.
Guidelines from Funding Agencies
- National Science Foundation: Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results (2010) – NSF’s guidelines for data sharing, released Oct. 2010.
- National Institute of Health Guidelines – A guide to NIH’s data sharing policies and guidelines.
- Funding Agency Guidelines on Data Management (University of Minnesota Libraries Guide) – Major science funding agency data management guidelines.
- De-Mystifying the Data Management Requirements of Research Funders (2012) – Examines the current data management requirements of major US funding agencies in order to better understand data management requirements that researchers face and their implications for libraries who provide research data management services.
Data Management Guides
- DataONE Best Practices
- Good DMP Examples + Going Beyond Two Pages (2012) – Posting from DataPubs blog with practical tips geared to researchers.
- Boston College Data Management LibGuide
- Guidelines for Responsible Data Management in Scientific Research from the Office for Research Integrity
- Manage Your Data – MIT Libraries’ guide to Data Management: a guide for researchers.
- Data Management – WPI LibGuide
- University of Connecticut guide to Data Management Plans
- New York University Libraries Data Management Guide
- Data Management Planning at Penn State Libraries
- University of Virginia Library Scientific Data Consulting
- What’s your Data Plan? – Research Data Services, Digital Curation at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- CCTSI Colorado Clinical and Translational Science Institute: Managing your Research Data – Comprehensive guide to data management planning geared towards biomedical research. Includes guides to selecting appropriate database structure, chart comparing Excel, Access and RedCap data collection tool, maintaining data dictionaries, and guides to translational and biomedical informatics. Provides links to podcasts on translational information topics.
- University of Minnesota Libraries guide to Data Management
- University of Oregon Libraries: Managing your Data
- California Digital Library’s Guide to Data Management
- Support for Managing Research Data – User friendly guide developed at UK’s University of Cambridge addressing components of data management.
- Edinburgh University Data Library Research Data Management Handbook (2011)
- The legal status of raw data: a guide for research practice (2009) – Published by SURF (Netherlands), clarifies the legal protection applied to research data and is intended for researchers who need to know what they can do with other people’s data.
Data Management Planning Templates and Examples
- Example Data Management Plans – Examples of actual UC San Diego data management plans submitted to various directorates.
- Data Management Plan Templates from Columbia University – Templates of data management plans for all NSF directorates.
- Data Management Planning – Links to examples of four general and one biology directorate NSF data management plans posted on lower part of page.
- Resources for Data Management Plans – Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (IUCPSR) website provides links to templates and tools for data management plans.
- Samples of Data Management Plans in the Natural Sciences – Links to Samples of data management plans from diverse research project from The Inter-University Consortium for Political and Social Research (IUCPSR) resources for data management plan webpages.
- Data Curation Profiles – Data Curation Profiles tell the story of a data set and its lifecycle within a research process. The website includes a downloadable Data Curations Toolkit and is intended to help librarians engage in conversations with researchers, understand data management, insight into data management in different disciplines, help identify possible data services, and serve as a starting point for curating a data set.
- Data Up (2012) – An open source tool that can integrate with Excel to help researchers document, manage, and archive tabular data.
- DMP Tool (2011) – Open access data management plan tool designed to help researchers meet funding agencies’ DMP requirements.