Data Management Planning
Data Management Planning
A collection of online data management guides, tools, and other resources for researchers.
Data Management Guides
- DataONE Best Practices- Primer on Data Managment: What you always wanted to know (but were afraid to ask)
- Good DMP Examples + Going Beyond Two Pages (2012) – Posting from DataPubs blog with practical tips geared to researchers.
- Guidelines for Responsible Data Management in Scientific Research from the Office for Research Integrity (2006)
- Cornell University Research Data Management Services Group- Guidance documents on data management
- Boston College Data Management LibGuide
- Manage Your Data – MIT Libraries’ guide to Data Management: a guide for researchers.
- University of Connecticut guide to Data Management Plans
- University of Virginia Library Scientific Data Consulting
- What’s your Data Plan? – Research Data Services, Digital Curation at the University of Wisconsin-Madison
- CCTSI Colorado Clinical and Translational Science Institute: Managing your Research Data – Guide to data management planning geared towards biomedical research. Includes guides to selecting database structure, comparisons of Excel, Access and RedCap data collection tools, maintaining data dictionaries, and guides to translational and biomedical informatics.
- University of Minnesota Libraries guide to Data Management
- University of Oregon Libraries: Managing your Data
- California Digital Library’s Guide to Data Management
- Support for Managing Research Data- Guide developed at the University of Cambridge addressing components of data management.
- Edinburgh University Data Library Research Data Management Handbook (2011)
- The legal status of raw data: a guide for research practice (2009)- Published by SURF (Netherlands), clarifies the legal protection applied to research data and is intended for researchers who need to know what they can do with other people’s data.
- DMP Tool (2011)- Open access data management plan tool designed to help researchers meet funding agencies’ DMP requirements.
- Data Curation Profiles Toolkit- Toolkit intended to help librarians engage in conversations with researchers, understand data management in different disciplines, help identify possible data services, and serve as a starting point for curating a dataset.
- Data Up (2012) – An open source tool that can integrate with Excel to help researchers document, manage, and archive tabular data.
- Glossary of Data Management Terms- Glossary provided by Cornell University Research Data Management Services Group
Guidelines from Funding Agencies
- DMPTool Funder Requirements List (2014)- As new Data Management Plan Guidelines become available, they will be added to this page and eventually to the DMPTool.
- National Science Foundation: Dissemination and Sharing of Research Results (2010)- NSF’s guidelines for data sharing
- National Institute of Health Guidelines – NIH’s data sharing policies and guidelines.
- Funding Agency Guidelines on Data Management (University of Minnesota Libraries Guide)- Major science funding agency data management guidelines.
- De-Mystifying the Data Management Requirements of Research Funders (2012)- Examines the current data management requirements of major US funding agencies in order to better understand data management requirements that researchers face and their implications for libraries who provide research data management services.
Data Management Planning Templates and Examples
- New England Collaborative Data Management Curriculum- Example Data Management Plans
- Example Data Management Plans- Examples of actual UC San Diego data management plans submitted to various directorates.
- Data Management Plan Templates from Columbia University- Templates of data management plans for all NSF directorates.
- Data Management Planning- Links to examples of four general and one biology directorate NSF data management plans posted on lower part of page.