Research Data Cycle Models and Guides
There are many ways to conceptualize workflows in data-intensive research. The below models demonstrate just some of the ways in which librarians and others have chosen to illustrate these processes. This list is in no way complete, but these diagrams can help you get started understanding the issues inherant to these research processes.
- Research Data Lifecycles – Interactive maps of the research data lifecycle by the UK Data Archive.
- Carnegie Mellow University Libraries Data Life Cycle and guide to data management
- University of Virginia Research Life Cycle- Diagram and guide to data management
- Digital Curation Center Data Curation Lifecycle- DCC data lifecycle model
- DataOne Best Practices- Life cycle diagram and guide to managing data throughout the data life cycle
- US Geological Survey- Guide to data management in geological sciences throughout the data life cycle
Articles on Data Cycles
- Optimization of Data Life Cycles (2014)- The German Helmholtz Association project "Large Scale Data Management and Analysis" (LSDMA) aims to maximize the efficiency of data life cycles in different research areas. This paper describes the various activities within LSDMA
- Cyberinfrastructure, Data and Libraries Part 1 (2007)– Section 1.5, Services and the Data Lifecycle Model, describes the pre-publication and publication phases of research and contextual library services.