Health Literacy: Its Importance to You
Are you curious as to why health literacy is important to you or anyone in the healthcare field? This introductory hands-on class will help you understand why this is an issue in healthcare. We will define health literacy today, identify various types of literacy, explore the impact health literacy plays in patient care and discuss how health literacy will affect healthcare in the future. We will also discuss your role in raising health literacy awareness in your organization and offer ideas on how this can be achieved. NLM, government agency and other recognized resources in health literacy will be provided.
By the end of the session participants will be able to:
- Define the meaning of health literacy.
- Identify the various types of literacy.
- Recognize the impact health literacy plays in patient care.
- Identify methods to evaluate a patient’s health information literacy level.
- Identify health literacy resources.
- List the areas impacted by low health literacy in the future delivery of healthcare.
- Define your role in raising health literacy awareness in your organization or institution.
- PowerPoint Presentation (last revised March 2017)
- Upon successful completion of this class, each participant will receive 2 hours of continuing education credit awarded by the Medical Library Association.
- This course qualifies for Medical Library Association, Consumer Health Information Specialization Levels 1 and 2.
Author: Michelle Burda, Educational & Health Literacy Coordinator, National Network of Libraries of Medicine, Middle Atlantic Region
This class is designed to be a 2-hour, in-person session, to raise awareness of what health literacy is and how it affects patients, consumers, and healthcare professionals.
There are no archived recordings of this class
There are no upcoming classes