Chemicals, Drugs and Genetics: Searching PubMed and Beyond Online On Demand
This specialized class will help improve your effectiveness in searching PubMed and related NLM and NIH databases for literature information on chemicals, drugs and genetics. The course begins with searching PubMed for drug information with MeSH terms, Supplementary Concept Records (SCR), and Pharmacologic Actions (PA). Additional topics include searching related databases for drug information, chemicals and with chemical nomenclature, and lliterature related to genetics and genomics. This course assumes a strong working knowledge of PubMed including an understanding of automatic term mapping, the importance of reviewing the Details box after searches, and using the Advanced search page and the MeSH database.
By the end of this class, attendees will be able to:
- Understand the between MeSH terms, subheadings, Phamacologic Actions, and Supplementary Concept Records
- Experience and understand when to use specific National Library of Medicine databases to search for chemical and drug information and literature
- Work with literature resources related to genetic diseases and research
- Identify related literature resources for additional learning
Course Materials (Updated July 2017)
- CDG 1 - Drug Information Databases.docx
- CDG - Assignment 1 Questions 2017.docx
- CDG - Assignment 2 Questions 2017.docx
- CDG 3 - Chemical Information and Databases.docx
- CDG - Assignment 3 Questions 2017.docx
- CDG 4 - Genetic Information Databases.docx
- CDG 4 - Genetic Information Resources.docx
- CDG - Assignment 4 Questions 2017.docx
- MLA Course Listing
- This is offered via the Moodle platform. Please contact instructor for upcoming courses.
Tony Nguyen, MLIS, AHIP, Technology and Communications Coordinator, National Network of Libraries of Medicine Southeastern/Atlantic Region (NNLM SEA).
There are no archived recordings of this class
There are no upcoming classes